Welcome!

My name is Lisa Horn, and I am a 3rd grade teacher at Six Mile Charter Academy in Fort Myers, Florida. I have been teaching for 6 years now and am enjoying making a difference in our leaders of tomorrow. I plan on graduating from FGCU with a Master's in Reading during Fall 2013. My educational goals are to motivate reading among students and promote literacy activities within the schools.

Thursday, February 7, 2013

Chapter 4: Expressive Writing

The beginning of Chapter 4 in Holding On To Good Ideas In A Time Of Bad Ones opens up with the following quote:

"Is a man to follow rules - or rules to follow him?" - Laurence Stern

This quote gave me the chance to reflect upon how there are so many rules when it comes to writing such as following a rubric that focuses on focus, organization, conventions, and support.  However, when we give students the chance to write freely without always critiquing and going over feedback, students are most likely going to have a willingness to write. 

Expressive writing gives students the opportunity to write freely without judgement.  If we want out students to enjoy writing, we need to give them more chances to practice writing than spending too much time going over feedback.  I love when my students get time to journal write about various journal questions such as "How would our world be difference if cows gave us root beer instead of milk?" or "If you could travel any place in the world, where would you go and why?"  My class always looks forward to writing freely with their own ideas and opinions and being able to share with a buddy.  It gives them the opportunity to express their writing in a comfortable environment.

                                                                      

No comments:

Post a Comment